Wrapping .NET Framework SP1 into a installer
(Original : http://www.mcse.ms/archive102-2004-9-1093014.html)
1. First download the .NET framework v1.1 re-distributable package, and run "dotnetfx.exe" with the "/C" switch (to extract contents).
2. Then download the .NET fw v1.1 SP1 update, and run "NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe" with the /XP" switch (to extract contents).
3. A dialog box asking you where to save the MSP (update patch) comes up, choose where you want to save it (size 18,760 KB).
4. Rename that MSP to SP1.MSP, and place the extracted contents of dotnetfx.exe (.NET framework installer) in the same directory.
5. Clean the directory so sp1.msp, data1.cab, and netfx.msi are the only files (3 files) in the directory.
6. Run the following commands (from a command prompt):
msiexec /a netfx.msi TARGETDIR="c:\netfx1"
msiexec /p sp1.msp /a c:\netfx\netfx.msi
7. Your c:\netfx directory should have 3 items in it after this operation: 2 directories - Program Files & Win, and netfx.msi.
8. Now you can compress it to SFX (if compressed it will be just 17.5 MB, if left uncompressed it is 56.2 MB). And set it to silently extract.
;The comment below contains SFX script commands
Setup=Netfx.msi /qn /norestart
Choose SFX with best compression.
Copy the above into the comment window. (last tab)
Then ok to create a 17.5 Mb SFX.
Contents (already patched with sp1.msp):
Think I got it all?