Tips on how to use IBM iNotes (web client) on emailing or scheduling - Like copy tables from Excel or checking for user id (windows logon id) through email address
There are certain functions that I accustomed with when I write email and schedule a meeting using mail client such as Ms Outlook or IBM Lotus Notes. However, such functions are not straightforward when I am in Lotus iNotes, a completely web based client application.
Writing Email Common Functions
1. Checking for user id (Windows Logon ID) for the email address.
There is no check for user detail in web based version. In the PC client version, you can do this by right clicking on the email address in the "To" textbox. However, there is another solution in web based verion. You can click on "To" hyperlink to search for that person in the address book. Then, find the person there and click "Details" there to get the user id (Windows Login ID)
Similar, if you do not have email address of the person but you have the windows logon ID, you can just type the ID in the "To" textbox and click on search for that person. The system will reverse lookup the ID to email address for you.
2. Tables function general information
2.1 Copy from excel table
- If you copy table from Excel (clipboard), you would be getting the table copied over to your web mail in html table format without border in it by default. So, if you need to add border to your table, you need to highlight the all the required cells (yes, cells, not table. Highlight it). Then click on "Table Properties" button in toolbar. Then, select "Cell Properties". Then, in the Cell Border section. Line Width you need to put "2" pixel in order to see line appearing in your table. Then click OK. For some strange reason, the width "1" pixel won't show up the line, only until you change to 2. But if you change it back to 1 after 2, it will show correctly.
2.2 Copy from word table
- If you copy from Word (clipboard), you would be getting the table copied nicely with border. Except that all the width you set in Word you copied from would not appear correctly. You would need to set the width of cell/column using "Table Properties" - "Cell Properties"
3. Editing table layout.
- Resize column
There is no resize column function in iNotes, however, you can adjust cell in the table which indirectly adjust your column. To do this, click on your table, and select Table Properties in the toolbar. Then look for Cell Properties. Then look for Cell Width and update there to adjust the width of column if you want to shrink it. For height, there is no adjust height feature but you can use next lines (keep on pressing ENTER) to achieve the same purpose.
- Adding column
If you hover the mouse to the table cell, you will see a icon with left and right arrows. Click on the arrow to add column to left or right.
- Adding line/row
If you hover the mouse to the table cell, you will see a icon with up and down arrows. Click on the arrow to add row to row below or row above.
- Removing column
If you hover the mouse to the table cell, you will see a icon with left and right arrows and cross. Click on the cross to remove selected column.
- Removing row
If you hover the mouse to the table cell, you will see a icon with up and down arrows and cross. Click on the cross to remove selected row.
Schedule for Meeting
1. Checking of availability of invitees
Add the invitees in the Required/CC/FYI textbox first. Then click on "Find Available Time"
2. Checking of availability of meeting room
Add the Rooms in the Location first. Then click on "Find Available Time"